X First Aid Tips That Can Save Your Bully’s Life

15 Jun X First Aid Tips That Can Save Your Bully’s Life

You’ve been driving for hours, so you pull over to let your bully relieve his bladder and stretch out. But what’s supposed to be a normal break becomes an emergency situation. Within seconds, your bully gets bitten by an unknown creature. The site of the wound begins to swell and your bully finds himself struggling to breathe. You act by calling the vet, only to discover that it’s a severe allergic reaction. And with a dose of allergy medication, your bully will be fine.

Whew! That was a close one.

Most of us are experienced dog owners and breeders. But how knowledgeable are we when it comes to emergency situations with our Bullies?

The ABC’s of Canine CPR

Is your bully unresponsive or experiencing a shortness of breath? Take a deep breath and follow the ABC’s listed below:

  1. Check Airway – With the dog on his side, tilt head back and pull tongue out. Use a finger to check for foreign objects.
  2. Check Breathing – If the dog is struggling to breathe, close his mouth and extend neck to open up the airway. Cover the dog’s nose with your mouth and exhale until you see his chest rise.
  3. Check Circulation – Check for a heartbeat. If it is not detectable, perform chest compressions.

 

Common Injuries

  1. Cuts and Wounds
    Using gauze, apply pressure to the wound to stop bleeding. For minor lacerations, flush the wound with water or saline solution. Wrap the wound with gauze or another soft material and tape it in place. Visit a veterinarian as soon as possible ,even if the wound seems minor. The development of infection and abscesses can cause major issues down the line.
  2. Burns
    A burn’s severity depends on its depth, as well as the surface area affected. After checking your bully’s ABC’s, run cool water over or apply a cold compress to the wound. If the burn is severe, do not place your dog in cold water – the rapid cooling may cause your furry friend to go into shock. Instead, visit a veterinarian as soon as possible as the risk for infection is high.
  3. Allergic Reactions
    Signs of an allergic reaction include:
  • Itching
  • Redness
  • Hives on muzzle, face, and the body
  • Swelling
  • Vomiting
  • Labored breathing
  • Collapse

Luckily, facial swelling only occurs after the threat of death has passed, according to Dr. Jeff Grognet, DVM.  Most allergic reactions are caused by foods, vaccinations, medications, and insect stings. If your dog has been stung, do not attempt to remove the stinger as this may help release more toxins. Also, make an appointment to see a veterinarian. Some allergic reactions can lead to shock.

  1. Poison
    If you believe your dog has ingested, inhaled, or absorbed poison, contact your veterinarian or call the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 for guidance. You may be able to wash off a topical poison, flush eyes, and get the animal into fresh air.
    If poison has been ingested, you may be able to induce vomiting by giving your bully 3% hydrogen peroxide. The dose is one teaspoon for every 10 pounds your dog weighs.
    Do not make your dog vomit if he has ingested bleach, drain cleaner, or any caustic substance. You should also avoid inducing vomiting if at least two hours have passed since the substance was ingested.
  2. Shock
    If your bully has gone into shock due to blood loss, poisoning, an allergic reaction, or even severe pain, see a vet immediately! Signs of shock include:
  • Pale gums
  • Sluggishness
  • Unconsciousness (in more severe cases)
  • Weak or elevated pulse
  • Increased heart rate

Interested in learning more about canine first aid? Check out this comprehensive guide from Blue Cross for Pets.



There are no products